Raising Readers service combines award winning children's public television programs with outreach efforts to encourage literacy in families of our community. We provide a variety of workshops covering topics on literacy, math, science, media and children, healthy habits, feelings/emotions, and basic skills.
We also provide literacy kits (including DVD, book, and children's activities) to interested families. In addition to literacy visits, we provide free books to children in our partnering centers. Thanks to our generous underwriters, we are able to provide our services free of charge!
Goals of the Program
- Increase children's emergent literacy skills.
- Increase parents' frequency of reading with their children.
- Increase parent/educator use of the Learning Triangle with children.
Literacy visits are offered to the following counties:
- Coles, Cumberland, Clark, Edgar, Shelby, Moultrie
Many organizations have benefited from our services, such as:
Head Start, serving the following communities:
- Altamont, Pana, Sullivan, Charleston, Mattoon, Tuscola, Neoga, Casey, Pana, Westfield, Effingham, Cumberland Home Base, Robinson, Toledo, Effingham, Vandalia, Chrisman, Cowden
Project Help, serving the following communities:
- Charleston, Kansas and Ashmore
Child Care Centers and Community Organizations
- Building Blocks Play and Learn Center, Child Care Resource and Referral (EIU), Coles County Health Department, Charleston Parks & Recreation, Eastern Illinois University Student Association for the Education of Young Children, Eastern Illinois
Thanks to Our Underwriters!
The following companies/organizations make our educational programs possible!