Season 3 - Coming Soon!
Season 3 of Backstage at Doudna returns in May for a third season! Our crews have been busy working with the Doudna staff to bring you an all new season. This season’s featured artists include New Dance Horizons, Pianist William Yang. Charleston native and EIU alum Charlotte Martin, The Thodos Dance Company and a few more to be announced. Each program includes one-on-one interviews with the artists, backstage and performance clips. Dwight Vaught, director of the Doudna Fine Arts Center returns as host for this season.
Season 2 Programs
Program 201 - May 15, 2013
- Qawal Najmuddin Saifuddin and Brothers are the direct descendants of the founder of quawwali, a form of Sufi devotional music. This music has been practiced for more than 700 years. Backstage meets two of the brothers from the group to learn more about their story.
Program 202 - May 22, 2013
- Jack Freiberger (Mr. Fry) created a one man show that looks back at his time as a first year school teacher at the LA Unified School District, located in the heart of South Central LA. The show is funny, heartwarming and heart wrenching at times. Jack talks with host Dwight Vaught about the journey from classroom to the stage.
Program 203 - May 29, 2013
- Combining the musical talents of Cordis and contemporary dance by the Lehrer Dance Company is an extraordinary show called Kaleidescopika: The Art of Unfolding. See how these groups come together to put on a visually stunning program of dance, aerialists and live music. Backstage meets with creative forces behind this collaborative effort.
Program 204 - June 5, 2013
- DanceWorks Chicago is a vibrant contemporary dance company consisting of six hand-picked dancers. Their program includes exciting works from established choreographers. Backstage had the opportunity to meet two of the dances as well as Artistic Director Julie Nakagawa to learn more about the inspiration and creative forces behind DanceWorks Chicago.
Program 205 - June 12, 2013
- From the island of Bali comes the sounds of Cudamani. Music and dance join together for a show that is vibrant, technical and free spirited. This program is part of the Arts Midwest World Fest, a project that brings international talent to the Midwest. While in Charleston, the group performed not only at Doudna, but also for area schools. Backstage met the performers and traveled with the group to one of their school performances.